Friday, April 13, 2007

Partner Assignment...

Thanks to Jess Walton, he made me realize that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. He and I shared pretty much the exact experiences and I would like to take this time to thank him for taking the time to correspond with me.

Here is a copy of what J.Walton wrote on his blog...I didn't see a point in trying to re-invent the wheel:

Jess' challenge: I am being sent to Louisiana this summer and I was concerned that I wouldn't be as marketable as some of the individuals who were at larger units. I intend on applying for Warrant Officer, and I believed that the others may have the upper-hand because of where they worked.Anthony's recommendations: 1. Reassurance to focus on oneself and those in my immediate command. 2. Stay focused and maintain self concept and confidence. 3. Concentrate on what I "WANT" and go for it, regardless of competition. 4. Do not try to take on too much responsibility.

My challenge: After completing ten years of service in the Navy and armed with a bachelor degree, I may choose to exit the military for a civilian position. My spouse wants me to exit so I'm not away most of the time, but other important figures like my Father want me to remain in the Navy for ten more years when I'm retirement eligible. I'm contemplating the security of the military or taking a chance as a civilian. Jess' recommendations: 1. Volunteer for an internship in the field he wants to pursue a career in before he exits the military. 2. Consider choosing another military service that would keep him closer to home, he could retain his years toward retirement, and maintain security with pay/benefits.

It's funny how two different people have/had the same dilemma in their lives. It's great to hear someone whom has gone through it and can speak with intelligence.

Thanks Jess!

1 comment:

jwalton said...

Good workin' with you, Anthony.

Jess