Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Few Good Men...

I was unable to score a copy of "A Few Good Men", but I do remember portions of the movie. So, Dr. D, please forgive me.

What I remember as one of the main confrontations was when Tom Cruise and Demi Moore went to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba to interview the Colonel of the base, Jack Nicholson, and Jack insulted Tom Cruise's white Navy uniform. It was quite evident that Cruise wanted to choke Jack, but Demi was the cooler head among all involved and provided a diversion to take the attention off the insult. The problem definitely seemed realistic as I have personally seen Marine officers with a serious mental-deficiency when referring to anything Navy. Since I f tend to put my foot in my mouth on a regular basis, and don't adhere to the P.C. lifestyle, I would have spoken my mind and let the Colonel know that at one time in the near future he was going to have to get out of the military and get a "real job" where "real" people wouldn't care how important you think you are. The only people that utilized proper negotiation skills were the lawyers Demi and Tom. Jack gave himself entirely too much credit thinking that because he was who he was, he need not utilize any decorum.
I'm not totally sure alternative dispute resolution would have been a beneficial. Jack played a role of an individual with no room for error nor any desire to compromise. Jack laid his cards on the table way before the litigation team touchdown in Cuba as a "Hard-Head". If anybody would have any advice as to deal with someone like that, please disseminate that information over this way.

1 comment:

Debra Davenport said...

Hi there --

Thanks for your blogs and film commentary, which are good. Might have been great if you could have watched a movie you haven't seen before to provide another perspective.